wiki.Alumni.NET - Your Location Information Resource
Category:Asia/Philippines/Benguet/Baguio City/St. Louis University/
St. Louis University
- Address & Directions
- A. Bonifacio Street, Baguio City, Benguet, Philippines 2600
- Telephone Numbers: +63 74 442-3043, 442-2793, 442-2193, 443-2001, 444-8246 to 48
- Fax Number: +63 74 442-2842
- History & Memorable Moments
- In 1907, the CICM Missionaries arrived in the Philippines, mandated by the Holy See to evangelize the northern part of the country. Pretty soon, it became apparent that Baguio, then a small mountain village resort in the province of Benguet, around two hundred and fifty kilometers north of Manila, will be pivotal for the region. With an elevation of at least 1,500 meters above sea level, Baguio is a natural gateway to and from the Cordillera mountain range, which traverses the Mountain Provinces (Montañosa), the home of numerous indigenous tribes.
- Thus it was that in 1911, Rev Fr Séraphin Devesse, CICM, founded a one-room elementary school in Baguio for ten local boys. From these humble origins, Saint Louis School began .
- In 1915, the intermediate grades and a trade school were started under the guidance of Florimond Carlu.
- In 1921, the high school was inaugurated.
- In 1952, college-level courses in the Liberal Arts and Commerce were offered, and Saint Louis College had its first Rector. Other courses and further developments soon followed, under the guidance of the following Rectors/Presidents-
- 1952-54 Gerard Decaestecker
- 1954-62 Albert Van Overbeke (In 1955, the graduate-level programs of Saint Louis College were granted recognition.)
- 1962-64 Gerard Linssen (On 13 May 1963, Saint Louis College was conferred University status by the Philippine Government.)
- 1964-76 Paul Zwaenepoel
- 1976-83 Ghisleen De Vos
- 1983-96 Joseph Van den Daelen
- 1996-2005 Paul Van Parijs
- 2005-present Jessie M. Hechanova
From the one-room Saint Louis School for ten boys in 1911, Saint Louis University has grown to a six-hectare campus with more than thirty buildings catering to more than twenty-two thousand students.
- Overview & Photographs
Saint Louis University is regarded as one of the Philippines' respected and leading educational institutions that has grown with the demands of the current and future environments for its students and faculty alike.
Around two hundred fifty kilometers north of Manila lies Baguio City, known to be the "Summer Capital of the Philippines" that enjoys temperate climate all year round. From a village resort established by the Americans, Baguio has become the Northern Philippines' center of business and commerce as well as the center of education. Saint Louis University has played a pivotal role in the evolution of the City into a center for learning in the North.
Today, SLU is the largest university north of Manila with about 20,000 university students in its campus located in the heart of the City. Its reputation for excellence attracts students and scholars not only from the Philippines but from other countries as well. It has sustained itself throughout the past ninety years to become one of the top centers of academic excellence in the Philippines that meet international standards in tertiary education. Most of its programs, from the elementary to the graduate level, have received the highest level of accreditation in the country.
SLU is centrally situated in a six-hectare campus in the heart of Baguio City and has more than 30 buildings. It has become the venue for seminars, various fora, and other special events of the public and private sectors in the Cordillera, in addition to the everyday conduct of student life in the University. It has welcomed within its walls an eclectic mix of various cultures, traditions, beliefs and nationalities.
Each academic year, more and more students - locals and foreigners alike - are coming to study at Saint Louis. We take it as a positive sign of the growing number of people who search for quality education aiming for a brighter future. The University attracts them and welcomes them all. It is a joy to share with them the Louisian tradition of Academic Excellence.
A student's application for admission is given due course by the University. All the qualifications prescribed by the University and Commission on Higher Education (CHED) MUST ALSO BE MET. However, the University reserves the right at any time to refuse, not to admit or readmit, students under certain conditions. Freshmen and Undergraduate Applicants:
All undergraduate applicants must pass the SLU College Entrance Examinations (SLU-CEE) and must qualify within the slots duly determined for each course. The regular SLU-CEE is conducted on weekends from the middle of October up to the first week of December; and admission starts at the middle of April for first semester enrolment. Graduate Program:
For graduate studies, a Graduate Program Entrance Examination is taken and a personal interview with the applicant is conducted by the Graduate Program Coordinator and/or the College Dean.
Visit Admission Requirements and Enrolment Procedure for the College of Education Graduate Program for additional information.
- Foreign Students
Foreign students who enroll in the undergraduate course must be within the age requirement (18-21 years of age); they should apply not later than 6 months before the start of the academic term, namely: June, for the 1st semester; November, for the 2nd semester, and; April for summer term. Moreover, they should be in Baguio city at least 4 weeks before the start of classes of the academic term for them to take the SLU-CEE/Qualifying Exams.
Visit Admission Procedures and Requirements for Foreign Students for additional information.
- Transfer Students - Admission Policies and Requirements for Transfer Students
New & Current Students
- Housing Tips
- Dormitory and Residence
- Off-campus housing
- Safety Tips
- Financial Tips
- Campus Events
- Support Centers
- Campus Ministry
- Grading System
- Grading Equivalent (to US System)
- Major Field of Study Tips
- Good Classes & Professors
- Groups & Organizations
- Fraternities & Sororities
- Career Tips
- Benefits of Joining Alumni Association
- Alumni Directory
- Hotels Nearby
- Microtel Inn & Suites Baguio is a 60 room hotel strategically situated at Upper Session road, Baguio City.
- Restaurant Recommendations
- Places of Worship
- Tours & Museums
- Library Access
- Sports Facility Access
- Future Campus Talks & Seminars of General Interest
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category "Asia/Philippines/Benguet/Baguio City/St. Louis University/"
This category contains only the following page.