wiki.Alumni.NET - Your Location Information Resource

Asia/Philippines/Metro Manila/Manila/Shrine of Our Lady of Correa (San Agustin Church)/

From wiki.Alumni.NET

Jump to: navigation, search

Coordinates: 14°35′19″N 120°58′29″E 14.58861, 120.97472


Shrine of Our Lady of Correa (San Agustin Church)

  • Address
    • Real Street, Intramuros, Manila
  • Phone
    • 527-4052, 527-4061 (Convent)
  • Fax
    • 527-4058; 338-2091
  • Mass Schedule
    • Monday to Friday 6:30, 7:00 am, and 5:30 pm
    • Saturday 7:00 am and 5:30 pm
    • Sunday 8:00, 10:00 am and 6:00 pm
  • Museum
    • Phone: 527-4060
    • Open Daily 8:00a.m. to 12p.m., 1:00p.m. to 6:00p.m.
    • Email:
  • History
    • One of the four Philippine Baroque Churches inscribed in UNESCO's World Heritage List, the oldest stone church in Metro Manila was built in 1586 and completed in 1606. An intricately carved door opens to the church. Of great interest are the XIXth century chandeliers, the pulpit, the side chapels, the tombstone on the floorings, and an 18th century pipe organ. Like an impregnable fortress, San Agustin has withstood the ravages of time both brought by nature and by man; earthquakes and typhoons, Chinese and Dutch attacks, the British Occupation Force and the Philippine-Spanish War, Dewey's bombardment, the bloody and destructive Japanese Occupation, and the equally devastating return of MacArthur's troops.
  • Staff
    • Pastor: Fr. Asis R. Bajao, OSA
    • Parochial Vicar: Fr. Peter A. Casiño, OSA
    • Attached Priest: Fr. William D. Araña, OSA, Fr. Jesus G. Encinas, OSA, Fr. Pedro G. Galende, OSA, Fr. Eduardo G. Perez, OSA, Fr. Antero V. Lumukso, OSA

San Agustin Museum

  1. SAN AGUSTIN MUSEUM - The Monastery was originally used as the living quarters of the Augustinians, classrooms, refectory, vestry, library and infirmary. It was destroyed by the British forces in 1762, by the American soldiers in 1898 and during the Japanese and American liberation war in 1945. The Monastery was converted into Museum in 1973 as the Halls were restored. San Agustin Museum showcases Filipino, Spanish, Chinese and Mexican art treasures.
  2. ENTRANCE I BELL - One gains entrance to the museum through the old porter's lodge where a 3,400 kilogram, bell stands. It was taken down in 1927 from the belfry damaged by the earthquake of 1863.
  3. SALA RECIBIDOR - The first hall is the SALA RECIBIDOR, formerly a classroom. It houses the San Agustin Ivory Collection of the late Luis Ma. Araneta, and a magnificent XVI 11th Century wooden retablo of the Intramuros Administration.
  4. CORRIDORS - The four corridors of the first floor of the museum exhibit oil paintings done by Fiipino painters Enriquez, Fuster and others in the early XXth Century. The paintings portray Saints and celebrities of the Augustinian Order.
  5. SAN AGUSTIN CHURCH - The present church was built in 1587 by Juan Macias. a soldier and architect. Construction was completed in 1606. The San Agustin Church has a vaulted ceiling and dome painted by two Italian artists Alberoni and Dibella. The style is predominantly baroque. It is the oldest stone church in the country and the lone survivor of WW 11. Visit the tomb of the founder of Manila, Miguel L6pez de Legaspi and admire the XIXth century chandeliers, the pulpit, the side chapels, the tombstones on the flooring and the three-dimensional paintings done in 1875 at the ceiling of dome.
  6. SALA DE LA CAPITULACION - The old VESTRY (first floor) was used in the earlier times by the priests to Jress up for liturgical services. Governor 3eneral Fermin Jaudenes drafted here the terms of the surrender of Manila to the Americans in 1898. The room now displays an assortment of church artifacts, episcopal paraphernalia, statues and altar silver utensils, etc.
  7. SACRISTY - The old SACRISTY (first floor) marked by a large wooden door anci frescoed walls of Aztec inspired influence showcases a host of China chestdrawers, candlesticks, statues and paintings. A large polychomed XVlth Century reredo altar with 22 gold niches at the center of the hall, the original retablo of the church carved by Juan de los Santos in 1650, rivet one's attention.
  8. REFECTORY - SALA PROFUNDIS/CRYPT - The refectory was the former dining room of the priests. The anterefectory was called Sala de Profundis, used by the priests to say grace before and after meals. It was converted in 1932 into a mausoleum for the Augustinians and later on for other Filipino families. A monument recalls the victims of the Japanese occupation (1942-1945). Niches are now available at the new crypt annex.The Refectory houses part of the Pagrei Collection of Filipino art treasures, wooden santos, bas-reliefs, retablos, tabernacles, candlesticks, liturgical chairs and processional guidons, which form the' Araneta collection. Notice the Aztec frescoes on the ceiling.
  9. CORRIDOR WITH CAR ROZAS - Displayed here are XVilith Century "carrozas" used during the religious processions, whether inside or outside the Church.
  10. MAIN STAIRCASE - The main staircase, made of 44 pieces of Chinese granite stones brought in Canton in 1780, is topped by a perfectly round stone dome covered with light bricks, with six rectangular windows. Here hang XVI 11thand XIXth Century paintings.
  11. CORRIDORS (Second Floor)- The four corridors in the second floor, burned in 1945, have been recently restored to their original form. The walls are plastered and painted in white, as they were originally, following the Mexican influence.
  12. SAN PABLO HALL (First Hall to the right) - This hall, commonly known as "Claustro de San Pablo", was destroyed in 1945 and restored in 1993. The table used during chapter meetings, the "Caja de Obras Pias", the model scale of San Agustin Church and Museum and old paintings are on exhibit here.
  13. SAN AGUSTIN HALL - The hall housed formerly the cells of Major Superiors of the Augustinians in the Philippines, the Prior of the monastery and other officials. It was destroyed in 1945 and restored in 1993. Hanging on the walls are photos of churches built by the Augustinians from 1565 -1898. Also on exhibit are Filipino Grammars and Dictionaries written by the Augustinians.
  14. PORCELAIN ROOM - Exhibited here are shards excavated at the San Agustin complex which evidence the ChinaPhilippine trade. Equally revealing are the heirloom jars from Southeast Asia, a collection of Mr. Ermelo Almeda .
  15. FORMER BIBLIOTECA - This room formerly the Biblioteca of the Augustinian Monastery destroyed during the World War II, was restored to function as temporary exhibits Hall.
  16. 0RATORIO/ANTECHOIR/CHOIRLOFT - Here you can see a crucifix dating back to XVIIth Century, the 68 choir seats carved in molave with fine inlays, the big lectern with "cantorals" and the XVIlith Century Pipe Organ, to which is attached the memory of composers of such reknown as the Augustinians Father Ar6stegui and Pakil-born Marcelo Adonay .
  17. CHURCH VESTMENTS - This room showcases XVIIth and XVIlith Century vestments and capes from Spain and China worn by officiating priests for church services. The capes, chasubles, dalmatics, altar cloths and frontals are embroidered and decorated with gold and silver metallic thread. Some are painted with intricate designs. Vestments in various colors are used during different liturgical seasons. Some of these vestments were conserved to prevent further deterioration.
  18. PASSAGE TO FR. BLANCO'S GARDEN - Father Manuel Blanco, "the prince of Botany", pioneered in the study of medicinal plants in the Philippines. With his book"Flora de Filipinas", published in 1883, San Agustin reached its peak in the area of cultural scientific achievement. Fray Blanco carried out most of his experiments at this monastery garden which was destroyed in 1945 and restored :n 1991. The bronze monument of Fr. Blanco was made by Amado Castrillo.

Parish Communities


Personal tools